When adding a new switch, the key fields to complete are the name and IP address.
Control of switch activity is set in the scan and 'vlan for switch' fields. The first enables or disables passive SNMP scanning, the second sets a Vlan to be assigned to all Known End-Devices that connect to that switch (if this feature is enabled in the policy).
Some fields are automatically queried by FreeNAC and cannot be changed manually, such as the last monitored time, up/down status and hardware/software version.
The following fields are for documenting & alerting purposes:
- group field, used in the overview tab for grouping
- Emails list for notifications of new unknown devices
Each Switches has ports. On a port basis, the basic fields are:
- switch name, port name
- Documentation fields: Location/office, comment, patch cable details (if the PatchCable option is enabled, and the table filled)
- Fields automatically filed by FreeNAC: last vlan used on that port, and when that port was last used (read-only fields)
Certain values can also be programmed onto switches:
- Default vlan, for that port (i.e. override the global default)
- static or dynamic assignement
- port shutdown